[thelist] BrainBench: Is it worth it?

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Thu Aug 1 22:27:01 CDT 2002

> I know some people here have taken a BrainBench course. Is there anyone
who
> has found that having used it was worth the cash they shelled out for it?
> If a  prospective employee listed a high or low score on the application
> would it have any sway upon you?

Only very marginally, because it would indicate that the employee is capable
of proactively pursuing self-improvement. (Ack, listen to me, gotta get out
of Corporate America...) It says "I'm interested enough in this technology
that I took a course in it," not "I'm really good at this; hire me to do it
for you."

It's been my personal experience that BrainBench certifications don't do a
good job of guaranteeing their bearer is an expert; they're more a stamp of
competency, if that. If I was looking for a ColdFusuion developer, I'd hire
someone with a scant few months of CF experience before I'd hire someone who
only had a BrainBench certificate.

For Web technologies, a good way to market your skills (IMO) is to put up a
little site demonstrating your abilities -- some examples of work you've
done for other clients, if available; perhaps some small demonstrations of
technologies you haven't used for any clients yet. Give your interviewer the
URL so they can see what kind of work you're capable of. Companies like to
see proven ability to generate results much more than competency with any
given toolset.

(Incidentally, I've never been on the receiving side of an interview -- but
I have helped give a few, so my view may be a bit lopsided.)

--
Jonathan McPherson, LMIT/SD&I
Software Engineer & Web Systems Analyst