[thelist] Basic question about 301/302 etc redirects

Ahmad, N nadeem at essex.ac.uk
Fri Aug 2 09:21:01 CDT 2002

Hi all (my first post to the list - so please be gentle)

Can anyone help me with what I'm sure is a simple query. I'm using IIS 5/ASP
and want to put in place some permanent redirects on a few pages as we are
changing the directory structure (as well as redesigning the site) to move
some pages around.

I've used the server.transfer command before (our index.asp transfers users
to an introduction.asp). I've also used response.redirect before as well.

My problem is I don't understand the relationship (if any) between these and
the standard redirects I see quoted e.g. 302 etc. I have a feeling I should
be doing something in IIS similar to setting up a custom 404 (which I've
vaguely got some clue about).

Hope that makes sense.

Nadeem