[thelist] HTML as data structure

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Sun Aug 11 12:26:01 CDT 2002

Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> Mark Gallagher wrote:
>
>>> class="bold">something</span> has no structure associated with it, so
>>> the bold
>>> style should be applied by some other method.
>>
>> If possible.  Unfortunately, sometimes you'll need to communicate
>> something which doesn't exist in HTML: for example, if you wish to
>> specify a group of elements as a menu, there's no way of saying
>> <content> for your main content, and <menu> for your menus.  The usual
>
> Hmm... what about the new nl?

I was referring to actual menubars - like the much-hated yellow left bar
that used to be so popular - and not necessarily lists of menu options.
  These lists should really be <ul>, at least for now (except in cases,
like mine most of the time, where one really couldn't be bothered :-)),
and for me this means I often get something like <div

Of course, once XHTML2 comes out, <nl> would be appropriate.

--
Mark Gallagher
Desperately attempting - and failing - to stay on topic since 1999