[thelist] [OT] looking for volunteers to take my survey - for a school paper

Wallace Design wallace.wayne at usa.net
Mon Aug 12 19:26:10 CDT 2002

Hello,

I'm doing a paper for school and need to survey as many people as
possible about computers and software. It doesn't matter how experienced
you are or what you do for a living. Just answer the questions as
completely and as honestly as possible.  Please send your completed
survey to me @ wallace.wayne at usa.net. Thank you for you time. This
information will only be used for my paper and you may be quoted if you
have something particularly good to say so let me know if it is ok to
quote and cite you in my paper. If the paper turns out well enough it
may be posted on my web site www.waynewallace.com

I would need you input by 8/14/2002 if possible, thanks.

Survey
1 . Can I qoute and cite you in my paper?
2. What is your name?
3. What do you do for a living?
4. What type of computer do you prefer to use Mac, PC or Other?
5. Why did you choose the computer platform that you use?
6. Do you think that software in general is to expensive?
7. Why do you generally upgrade your software?
8. Have you had problems migrating data from one software system to
another?
9. Have you ever been stuck with a product that is no longer made or
supported?
10. Do you know what open standards are? Y/N
11. Do you believe that open standards are a good thing? Why?
12. Do you think it's ethical or right that a software company can force
you to continue to use and or upgrade their software because of
compatibility with their old software or that no other software will
reliably read and write their closed and proprietary data format?
13. Do you think companies should make their software available to
non-profits for no or little charge? Y/N
14. Do you think companies should make their software available to
students for no or little charge? Y/N
15. Do you use any Microsoft software in your business or home? What
software and Why?
16. What do you feel are the pros and cons of using Microsoft software?
17. Do you think that Microsoft is a Monopoly? Explain?
18. Do you think that Microsoft employs and unfair business tactics?
Explain?
19. Any general comments that you would like to make about Microsoft?
20. Do you know what OpenSource software is? Yes/No
21. Do you know of any companies that support the OpenSource Software
Initiative? Name some.
22. What do you think about the OpenSource movement?
23. What do you feel are the pros and cons of OpenSource software?
24. Do you think OpenSource is more cost effective for the end user and
why?
25. Do you feel that Microsoft is against the OpenSource movement and
why?
26. Do you think OpenSource software is as good or better than
commercial software? Why?
27. What types of software do you feel are valid for the OpenSource
style of development?
28. Does OpenSource hurt software compaines that want to make money?
Explain?
29. Do you use any OpenSource software in your business or home? What
and Why?
30. Any general comments that you would like to make about OpenSource?

<tip type="Graphics - Roll overs" author="Wayne Wallace">
Use plenty of contrast difference in for roll over items so color blind
people can see your effect. Did you know men are the most prone to color
blindness.
</tip>