[thelist] Running msxml

Brad Miller brad at beldamar.com
Tue Aug 13 11:58:34 CDT 2002

It does sound like you have everything you need. I am not sure why it isn't
working for you.

~Another way to play with XSL is to use IE to show the output. IE6
~comes with MsXML 3 embedded. That's what it uses to parse XML/XSL.
~In your XML document link you xsl document just like you would a css
~page for html. IE will automatically parse and display your
~transformed XML. I'd say you should start out using IE, and not worry
~about the parsers right now.

The only problem with this method is that you cannot see the transformed
code. It will display the file correctly in the browser but if you view
source you will only see the original XML file. This makes it difficult to
debug your stylesheet.

~You really should get a book though, I highly recommend Beginning XML
~from Wrox. It covers all the bases, and doesn't get crazy. There is a
~command line XSL parser that he uses in the book to guide you through
~the basics that is very easy to figure out. Unfortunately the book is
~at work and I am not, or I'd give you a link to it :)
~O'Reilly's XSLT is a good XSLT book when you want to get deep into
~XSLT.

I believe you are refering to James Clark's XT. I have never used it but I
know there are several books out there that use it as an example.
http://www.jclark.com/xml/xt-old.html

Brad Miller
www.beldamar.com
www.x-etc.com