[thelist] mySQL queries

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Tue Aug 13 12:38:01 CDT 2002

rudy wrote:
> sorry to disagree but it's the other way round
>
> mysql lets you get away with crap that other databases don't

touche, but we can play tit-for-tat with examples.  That can introduce
ambiguity (however uncommonly it does happen, figuring out what happened
to your query in this case would be a pain).

specifically I was thinking about how mySQL won't let you just throw a
bunch of things into a series of subqueries and hope for the best.  The
highly irritating lack of subquery support forces the user to think more
carefully about what is really wanted -- that greater understanding of
the goal is valuable learning imho.

--Steve