[thelist] Resample Image / Thumbnail creation

Sam Richardson sam.richardson at outwide.co.nz
Tue Aug 13 17:10:01 CDT 2002

I've been trying to write a function that will take an existing image and
resize for a thumbnail. The thumbnail must have a set width but scale the
height in proportation to the width.

I can create the thumbnail ok but the image quality is very very poor, it's
quite blocky with strange patches/blocks of color on it.

I've tried using the following function: ImageCopyResampled
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagecopyresampled.php)

and also located on the same page: ImageCopyResampledBicubic

but both produce similar looking thumbnails. It almost seems that the JPGs
that are being produced have a very low quality set to them. Is there
anything obvious that I might be doing wrong? Or can anyone point me in the
direction of a function that will take an existing image and scale it to a
set width (keep the height in ratio to the width).