[thelist] formmail prob...com vs net??

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Wed Aug 14 08:51:50 CDT 2002

% -----Original Message-----
% From: thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org
% [mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Roger Harness
% Sent: 14 August 2002 08:18
% To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
% Subject: [thelist] formmail prob...com vs net??
%
% My mom's isp (www.skyq.com) gives her 'free' 20 megs of webspace.
% We have a
% simple form that users can check some choices/radio buttons/text areas and
% submit it. Unfortunately, skyq doesn't allow a cgi-bin, so on
% 'submission',
% the info is sent to matts formmail.pl in my cgi-bin.

BZZZT.  There's the problem.

Matt's formmail.pl, in its original forms, allows anyone at
all to send any message at all to any address at all.  ISPs
who allow its use on their web servers, therefore, often find
themselves on the receiving end of a blackhole listing.

What you're describing is one of the things Matt's formmail
is notorious for allowing 'illegally'.

The London Perlmongers have an ongoing project to replace
everything in Matt's Script Archive with secure drop-in
replacements.  They live at http://london.pm.org

As for a solution to your ma's problem, I'm not sure I
can help, other than to recommend calling Skyq and asking
whether they have any shared scripts available.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com