[thelist] Java applet for file reading problem

nate zelnick nzelnick at engine9.org
Wed Aug 14 13:45:01 CDT 2002

<in the voice of the Simpson's Dr. Nick>
Hello Everybody!

For reasons I won't go into at the moment I find myself in a weird
little jam. I have to read a set of little text files from a single page
and use the file's contents to populate a textarea. I _cannot_ use ASP,
CFM or any other server-side transformation engine, everything must be
done on the page (ie. no http gets or posts) and the text files consist
of one item per line.

The process has to look like this:

[text input box]
- user enters filename
[onSubmitForm]
- pass filename value to function that reads filename passed from form
- function parses contents line-by-line and adds it to select box
options

I found a nifty little Java applet from AcuteSoft that solves my
"Javascript can't read server-side files" problem, but it is limited to
reading the first 100 characters of any file. That's too short.

AcuteSoft appears to be gone--its web site is dead.

Anybody know of any other applets like the AcuteSoft WebKit that work
with longer files? Or a way around the applet's limitations?

*sigh*

Nate Zelnick
nzelnick at engine9.org OR nate.zelnick at stockton.edu
609 652-4448 (work phone)