[thelist] Usability Ideas/Suggestions

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Fri Aug 16 09:21:00 CDT 2002

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil wrote:
 >> REL = relationship of referenced page to referencing page. REV =
 >> relationship of referencing page to referenced page.
 >
 > The examples you gave both are from the child's point of view. Just
 > out of curiosity, is there a variant that gives this information from
 >  the parent's view? This type of semantic structure is not inherent
 > in the link tag.

There's no reason why you can't have
<link rel="child" href="bar.html" type="text/html">
and
<link rev="parent" href="bar.html" type="text/html">

<snip />

 > BTW Thanks for bringing this feature up. I'd thought I read this in
 > an old spec years back but have never seen a real application of it.
 > Still looking for one...

Great for navigation, especially if you've got a book-like site (which I
think <link>, at least Mozilla's implementation of it, is geared towards).

Currently, Mozilla and Lynx (and maybe Links, I'm not sure) support the
<link> tag[0].  Oh, and (obviously) every recently-updated Gecko-based
browser[1].  Mosaic recognises it too, but I don't think anyone uses
Mosaic anymore.

[0] Yeah, technically Opera and IE do as well as they'll display
     <link>ed stylesheets.  But they don't do much else!

[1] Which makes Galeon, Chimera, Mac AOL 7, Netscape 7 (and maybe 6.2),
     maybe Kmeleon (latest version).

--
Mark Gallagher
Desperately attempting - and failing - to stay on topic since 1999