[thelist] INPUT fields do not show in Netscape 4.7

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 16 12:47:01 CDT 2002

--- "Cymbala, Greg" <Greg.Cymbala at Den.Galileo.com> wrote:
> Do your input tags have a type attribute?  The options are:

Yes :). Everything was validated correctly using CSE HTML validator.

--- Tom Dell'Aringa <pixelmech at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't know how complete that code listing is, but you have no TR or
> TD..which NS can choke on I believe. IE is better at rendering
> "poorly" formed tables. NS just chokes

The DOMBrowser from which I pasted only shows the opening tags. There are tr's and td's, it just
is not showing them in the tree. All tags are opened/closed/nested properly. The tree I posted
just shows the basic order of everything.

--- James Aylard <evolt at pixelwright.com> wrote:
>     Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think Netscape 4.x will treat
> absolutely positioned divs as separate documents. Therefore, your form
> elements within those divs don't exist in the primary document as far as
> Netscape 4.x is concerned.

No need to be corrected...That is exactly it!! Thank you. I closed the main form tag (the one
which surrounds all the div's), then added individual form tags within each div (i.e.
div-form-stuff-/form-/div) and the "stuff" (which includes the form inputs) was shown.

Glad I found the problem...glad, but not happy :(. I guess a workaround could be to have a form
for each div, then, as the user changes the fields within each individual form I could edit values
in an all-inclusive, hidden field, form via javascript. Very messy seeing as how all this has to
be generated via loops and such on the serverside.

Can anyone thing of any other workarounds?? Does netscape treat its own  <layer> tag as separate
documents, like absolute divs?

If there isn't an easier way, I guess I could just forget the div's and output a regular, boring
form all positioned relatively for nn users...then output a message saying "no dynamic form for
you..take that!" :p

Sorry if I offend NN users...but it has to be said :)
Jon