[thelist] making friendly urls

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 18 17:46:00 CDT 2002

--- Shashank Tripathi <sub at shanx.com> wrote:
> Tom,
>

>     | Hi, I have this URL:
>     | http://www.thywordistruth.net/articles/article.asp?aid=70
>     | I thought there was a way to make this a 'friendly'
>     | url..or am I missing something? Like a permanent bookmark..
>

> By "friendly URLs",  I am not sure if you meant --
>
> 1. "Search engine friendly" URLs which do not have
> url.com?variable=1&variable=2 ...etc because search engines do not
> such URLs. In this case, there is a good article at SitePoint
> (http://www.promotionbase.com/article/485).

After doing some research on some of the suggested articles and
searching about myself, I'm not now so sure this is necessary. Doing
a search on some authors on google comes up with some pages (although
out of date :( ) that are on the site above. The full URL WITH the
?..etc was indexed. It also came up on like the 3rd page, decent
results since I have not done any real optimization with the site.

It seems to me for what you have to go through to get such "friendly"
urls isn't worth the trouble. Plus, now, I have ONE article page that
displays EVERY article. I don't want to end up static article pages,
that defeats the purpose of a templated site driven by a DB.

Thoughts?

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();