[thelist] PHP echoing...

David U. davidu at everydns.net
Sun Aug 18 22:07:01 CDT 2002

jon steele wrote:
>> Donald Noble wrote:
>>
>> 2) single quotes are much faster than double quotes and I have huge
>> scripts which show a noticable difference.
>> example:
>> file1 >>print 'foo '.$bar.' baz';
>> is faster than
>> file1 >>print "foo $bar baz";
>
> I participated in a thread a while ago where I argued your comment
> (as it said something of the sort in an old zend article), but man
> was I wrong. Someone produced a time tester script testing the
> different speeds of outputting text.

Please do find it.  Hopefully we can see their script too.  Perhaps
different inputs cause different outcomes.  My test was informal simply
using a small timer class but I noticed marked results (afaik).  Then again,
I could have done a 100 things wrong in my tests or the other person could
have..

-davidu