[thelist] hidden textarea

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Mon Aug 19 14:58:01 CDT 2002

Anil,

> How can i make a textarea hidden( as in case of text we write
> type='hidden' ,how to do this in case of text area)
>
> <TEXTAREA name="comments" rows="5" cols="30"></TEXTAREA>

I would recommend against using CSS to hide the textarea (as others may have
proposed), because then it will show up on browsers that do not support CSS
or may have CSS overrides in place.

<input type="hidden" name="comments" value="whatever" />

... is probably what you want. The main distinction between <input
type="text" /> and <textarea> is that <textarea> supports multiple lines --
and <input type="hidden" /> supports multiple lines too. It is therefore
useful for storing <textarea> data as well as <input type="text" /> data.

--
Jonathan McPherson, LMIT/SD&I
Software Engineer & Web Systems Analyst