[thelist] international URIs and encoding

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 19 16:30:01 CDT 2002

Does anyone out there have any experience in encoding URIs for
international use? According to the W3C:

http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-code.html

There are only some 60 characters allowed in a URI. We have lots of
crazy ones like:

<a
href="/html/en/default/common/breakOutWithHeaders.jsp?winName=WebProcess.srv?objectId=540000&actionId=540319&propertyId=10489&projectId=1&GeoSpaceID=2305843009213693953&SpecID=229849&DisplayParents=false&DisplayChildren=false&Discipline=ALL&PublishedFlag=false&OrderBy=specname&ClassificationID=-1&Source=P"
target="_blank">

(how's that for nasty.) They have a link to a java class for encoding
this stuff, I'm wondering if that is the best way to go about it? How
necessary is it if say, you wanted to do business in a foreign
language country like Japan or whatever.

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();

http://www.pixelmech.com/