[thelist] international URIs and encoding

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 19 17:36:01 CDT 2002

--- ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> ah, yes, the ampersands should be escaped when in the source.
> also, you might look into why you've got two question marks in the
> link as well.  that seems alittle odd.  if it's intentional you
> should probably encode all the relevant bits.
>
> .jeff

We have two question marks because everything is a (expletive here)
java object. So a URL like the one you saw is generated from code
like this:

window.open('/html/en/default/common/breakOutWithHeaders.jsp?winName=<%=com.tririga.web.WebConstants.ACTION_SERVLET%>?<%=WebConstants.OBJECT_ID_PARAM_NAME%>=<%=WebObjects.SPEC_SEARCH%>&<%=WebConstants.ACTION_ID_PARAM_NAME%>=<%=SpecSearchConstants.LOAD_SPEC_BOOK_CONFIRMATION%>&<%=WebConstants.PROPERTY_ID_PARAM_NAME%>=<%=pageHelper.getPropertyId()%>&<%=WebConstants.PROJECT_ID_PARAM_NAME%>=<%=pageHelper.getProjectId()%>&publicationId='+
publicationID,
            '_publishCheck' +
publicationID,'dependant=yes,status=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,width=800,height=600,
top=50, left=50');

I don't understand half of it myself, but it drives me nuts. Anyway,
so I we encode the "&"'s then we are okay? I don't know that those
urls ever actually show in the browser anyway - all you ever see in
the browser is:

http://dev.companyName.net/WebProcess.srv?objectId=2000&actionId=2001

And nothing else..so maybe its not even a problem?

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();

http://www.pixelmech.com/