[thelist] ASP/VBSCRIPT: best way to verify successful record insertion

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Mon Aug 19 18:18:00 CDT 2002

hi.

my company recently did an online registration for an event we hosted.
we had quite a few people complain that they signed over the internet
but had to reregister since we did not have a registration packet for
them. something went wrong when they filled out the form and clicked
submit and i have no idea what.

what i'd like to know is how can i best verify that their submission was
recorded? i'd like to notify them that they will receive an email after
they sign up and that if they do not receive an email within an hour or
so, they should call us or reregister because it did not work.

what i thought i could do was record their session variable and then
immediately look it up again. if i find a record with their variable
then that means it worked and i can send the email, if i don't find it,
then it didn't work and i should notify them that there was a problem.

is this the best way to do it? is there an easier way? are there any
implications with how quickly i can turn around and check for a record?
do i need to wait a second or two?

thanks,
chris.