[thelist] Re: [WD]: netscape communicator 4.8

Timothy J. Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Mon Aug 19 23:38:01 CDT 2002

Mark Gallagher wrote:

 > It's out, I think.
 >
 > I haven't finished downloading it yet (up to 4 of 18mb!), so I can't
 > say for sure how different (if at all) it is.  Nonetheless, it
 > certainly *appears* to exist.  Check out the public FTP archive at
 > ftp.netscape.com!
 >
 > Anyone got it yet, and no of any improvements/lack thereof to 4.79?

There aren't likely to be any changes beyond security fixes

<cite>Eric Meyer</cite> wrote

NN4.x releases, as I keep saying, are updates to patch identified
security problems. The rendering engine hasn't been touched in a very
long time, and so far as I know there are no plans ever to do so again.
New NN4.x versions are released at all because there are still support
contracts to be honored, and one term of those contracts is security
fixes. To halt 4.x releases before those contracts expire would probably
open Netscape to massive lawsuits from some very large companies... so
now we have 4.80.

Aside from being an extremely sharp chap, Eric also rubs elbows with
Netscape employees (in fact, he is one) so I tend to believe him.

TjL, who had joked that he thought it would be funny if NN-4.8 fixed the
CSS rule for @import and nothing else :-D

ps -- you know it'll be funny if Netscape.com doesn't announce this
(their download page has and still does, point to v6.23 or 7 and you
have to hunt to find v4.79 even)and the word only gets out from folks
who bemoan the fact on their 'blogs ... irony rules.... ;-)

--
Coming soon:
30 Days to becoming an Opera Lover