[thelist] ASP/VBSCRIPT: best way to verify successful record insertion

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Tue Aug 20 09:00:01 CDT 2002

>yes. that is exactly what i'm talking about. the problem i was running
>into though was that of uniquely indentifying the registrant. that's why
>i had the idea of the session variable.

Chris,

What DBMS are you using? Access and SQL Server both support
automatically-generated IDs. Just create a new field in the table with an
auto-number or auto-id and set it as the primary key, and you are guaranteed
that no two records will be "identical" as far as the DBMS is concerned,
even though they may have the exact same information byte-for-byte.

I had a bookmark to a really great SQL/DBMS intro, but it's gone now. Found
these lists at google, maybe they'll help you:

	DB:  http://www.tutorgig.com/showurls.jsp?group=1349&index=0

	SQL: http://www.tutorgig.com/showurls.jsp?group=118&index=0

-dave