[thelist] Mac OS9 network total lockdown

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 09:26:00 CDT 2002

Hi peeps

It is possible to lock-down a mac OS 9 network so that users cannot
access their own hard drives (just the desktop) or change the memory
allocations of their applications.
*Why* would anyone do this, *how* is it done and is there any *way
round it* that would not get my girlfriend (see below) fired?

Background: My girlfriend has just started work at a large web design
agency in London, basically processing photoshop files. She found
that Photoshop had the default RAM allocation (about 24MB) and that
she could not change it. To change it requires booking in a visit
from the surly tech support. Since the new machine has a mere 256MB
installed, it would be best to change it depending on whether she is
also running Illustrator (less RAM), working on a large file (more
RAM) etc. But she can't.

Is this good practice on the part of the admin, or (as I suspect) FUD
mixed with incompetence?

TIA

Geoff