[thelist] Nested Queries (long example code)

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Aug 21 17:04:00 CDT 2002

> Any questions?

just one

what the heck was that???

no offence, i was making a light-hearted joke  ;o)

> the underlying logic is digestible by the average programmer

then i must be way below average

any time i see coldfusion logic which takes query results and plays around
with them, in arrays and structures and whatnot, my eyes start to bleed,
because that sort of manipulation is usually not necessary

then if i see a SELECT inside a loop, i know i'm in for a rough ride

plus, when there is a one-to-many structure horizontally within each row,
i.e. not even first normal form, this does not bode well for query
simplicity or efficiency

any chance i could talk you into a better structure?

if so, could you please walk me through this? you have emailids and groups,
right? and the groups can be included in other groups? can one group be
included in more than one other group (i.e. is it a group hierarchy or a
many-to-many)? can an emailid belong to more than one group?

rudy