[thelist] CSS: font-size fun!

michael ensor edc at wnc.quik.co.nz
Wed Aug 21 19:02:01 CDT 2002

using css " absolute" font size keywords may validate but  implementation is
problematic.

1. IE 5.5  displays fonts sized with the small keywords at the default size
2. Ditto Opera
3.Netscape 6 and IE 6 for MAC show fonts sized with the medium keyword at
the defaut size
4. Font sizes using keywords still scale relative to the default text font
set by the user, ie "absolute" keyword is a misnomer

5. CSS 1 recommendation was a scaling factor of 1.5 which is used in some
early user agents and results in illegible displays, the current CSS2
recommendation is 1.2 which will give you the probable results of using
Absolute keywords at different default settings.