[thelist] Help! - need to grab site content

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Thu Aug 22 07:41:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:05:50 -0400 Ron_Senykoff wrote:

> Is there a tool anybody can recommend to grab the site and save it all
> locally, so I can move it to one of our servers?  We're in the process
> of getting control of the domain name (so we can update it to use our
> DNS servers) through networksolutions.

wget will do exactly what you want. If you're on Linux you should
already have it installed. If not you can get it from
http://www.wget.org or a version for Windows is available at
http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html.

You want to use it with the --mirror option. From 'man wget'

--mirror
           Turn on options suitable for mirroring.  This option
           turns on recursion and time-stamping, sets infinite
           recursion depth and keeps FTP directory listings.  It
           is currently equivalent to -r -N -l inf -nr.

G.