[thelist] Site check: is front page visible / centred?

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Fri Aug 23 08:48:01 CDT 2002

Chris Price wrote:
>When I open the first page in IE5 on Mac I see the Flash movie centred.
>If I disable plug-ins I just see the stuff in the background. But none
>of the links work.

Hmmm, when I tested I ripped out the flash layer and it worked. I presume
that one can't click on a link because the layer above is blank? Fiddle
sticks... Any other ideas someone? I guess I could do an onload

>The first thing that strikes me is: why are you using Flash at all? You
>will be getting all the drawbacks of Flash when you are not using the
>power of Flash.

I (mostly) agree. I'm using Flash because client insisted, originally site
was all like http://www.fairwayfunds.com/stafford/ but they wanted something
a little more designed for the presentation, and wanted to control some
visual aspects.

>When the logo in the middle is clicked I would expect to see the intro
>or at least something I have not seen before rather than a blank canvas.

The initial animation is really just to introduce their clients to the new
logos. They didn't want the movie going into the intro. Honest.

>I think you should also look at consistency throughout the site. The way
>it looks and how a user interacts with it.

I thought I had been consistent! I'd appreciate some further analysis if you
have time.

>I hope this is helpful

Yep, I know it's centred on a Mac! Seriously, I always appreciate any
feedback.

regards,
Liam