[thelist] Site check: is front page visible / centred?

Chris Price chris.price at stl.org
Fri Aug 23 10:36:01 CDT 2002

> >I think you should also look at consistency throughout the site. The way
> >it looks and how a user interacts with it.
>
> I thought I had been consistent! I'd appreciate some further analysis if you
> have time.

Home page:
1. Contact (top right) hits the rh margin, Introduction (bottom left) hits lh margin. Products (bottom right) should hit rh margin with the other links eque-spaced.
2. Could the logo do its juggling trick (I like that animation) when the mouse rolls over or just when the page loads rather than from a mouse click when the user expects to be taken somewhere.

Our Role:
This page does not operate like any other. The links are from left to right, they're blue and OnMouseover they turn to green. On the products page they are top to bottom and have a grey box onMouseover.

Products:
When I click on Description the next page has a forward arrow. Should there not be back arrows as the user cannot user the browser controls.

When I click on Quarterly Reports I get taken out of Flash. When I click the Products link here I don't go to products I go to the home page. If I'm in the Products page and click the Products link I go to the Our Role page.

Rather than making the user aware that they are going in and out of Flash maybe you should design the main navigation so it always looks the same and design the Flash around that. The user shouldn't be aware of how the site works unless something doesn't work and they need to know how to fix it.