[thelist] OT - Someone Is Using My Email Address For Spam

Chris axe at suburbia.com.au
Fri Aug 23 12:48:01 CDT 2002

Hello,

This morning when I checked my email I recieve quite a few 'message
undeliverable' return emails from my email provider's Mailer Daemon which
had been headed for email addresses that I do not know, and did not send to.

Upon further investigation, I have determined that someone has been using my
email address in order to send mail using my email provider's SMTP server. I
have no idea how many messages have been sent already.

I have the hostname and IP of the host that these messages apparently
originated from. I don't think that this was a major spam incident as the
sender was apparently only using MS OE (although this probably could be
faked easy enough).

Could anyone give me any advice on how to proceed with this matter.

Regards,
Chris