[thelist] OT - Someone Is Using My Email Address For Spam

Frank framar at interlog.com
Sat Aug 24 04:48:01 CDT 2002

Saturday, August 24, 2002, 12:58:31 AM, you wrote:

> more than likely someone that has your email address in
> their address book got infected with klez and is
> unknowingly spreading the virus to everyone they've ever
> sent or received email from.

I've also been told that there's a variant of the klez that
looks though explorer's cache for e-mail, so someone having
visited a page with your e-mail, having been infected, might
also be the cause.

One would think that at some point that people will
get the message: practice safe computing. How long does it
take for the average joe(sephine) to figure out that their
machine is infected?

An immature trick I've figured out. If for some reason you
figure out a spammer uses a valid e-mail, use it as your
e-mail, and leave it in your sig when discussing on Usenet.
You just know it's going to get harvested.

--
Frank Marion,
framar at interlog.com