[thelist] Graphics: Protecting Original Photography

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 25 15:47:00 CDT 2002

> From: Ken Kogler <ken.kogler at curf.edu>
>
> I've got a lot of pictures I want to put online, but I want to stop
> people from stealing them as well.

heh... bit of a conundrum we all face...

> Short of steganography (or is that a viable option?), how can I
> protect my pictures? Watermarks seem to detract from the quality of
> the image, and adding a copyright on top of the picture is just ugly
> more often than not.

have you read this yet?

Thwarting Image Theft: Fact or Fiction?
http://evolt.org/article/list/25/3094/

> It's not that I'm against watermarking or adding text, but I guess
> I've never seen it done right. What I'd love to find is invisible
> watermarking.

this does exist, but it doesn't stop anyone from taking them... you
have to first find the stolen image (which means stumbling across it)
and then you can check the watermark...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself