[thelist] UI: i find myself saying "click here" a lot.

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Aug 27 15:23:01 CDT 2002

Chris W. Parker <cparker at swatgear.com> wrote:

> To receive a copy of our Agency AB1127 Resource Book please click
> <a>here</a> or call us at (626) 334-6050.
>
> Transmogrified Version: (drawing from Joshua's example)
>
> A copy of our <a>Agency AB1127 Resource Book</a> is available free of
> charge, or you can call us at (626) 334-6050 with questions.
>
> please give suggestions/alternatives, etc.

try action verbs.  "clicking here" should be equated with taking some
Real Life action (an action beyond surfing Yet Another Page), and
labeled as such, for example:

To receive a copy of our Agency AB1127 Resource Book, please <a
href=form.html>fill out this book request form</a>, <a href=mailto:>send
an email requesting the thing</a>, <a>download the full text directly
us at (626) 334-6050 or <a href=http://dosomething.org>do something
else</a>.

-dave