[thelist] UI: i find myself saying "click here" a lot.

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Wed Aug 28 03:55:00 CDT 2002

Chris W. Parker wrote:
 > If you would like to receive more information about this, click
 > <a>here</a>. To receive more informaiton about this, click
 > information about on this subject can be find by clicking
 > <a>here</a>.
 >
 > is there any other way i can word these sentences so that the person
 > knows where to click but without having to say "click here"? is this

<a>Get more information</a> about this.

There's a school of thought that most links (at least, links you want
clicked) should act as a call to action in some way.  I'm not sure I
agree, but to each their own.  Avoid "click here" and suchlike as often
as possible[0] - it's not that hard to go for the call to action thingy
without using "click here" or a derivitive.

 > normal?

Yes, sadly.

[0] I mean, not everyone clicks.  Consider, if you will, an Interwet
     Exploiter user who comes across a "call to action" aimed at Lynx
     users only: "hit the right arrow here".  That's the equivalent to
     what we Lynxers face every time someone says "click here" :-).

--
Mark Gallagher
Desperately attempting - and failing - to stay on topic since 1999