[thelist] Browser Stats

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 29 08:52:01 CDT 2002

> From: Nik Schramm <n at industriality.com>
[...]
> This I found curious. Just out of interest: You *do* realize it's the
> year 2002 and South Africa has been a democratic country for over 8
> years, right ? What grounds are there for your assumption, that it is
> the subject of *existing* boycotts and embargoes ? Is it because two
> former heads of government are Nobel Peace Prize winners ? Is it
> because there are companies who refuse to trade with a country where
> 10-20% of the adult population are feared to suffer from AIDS ? Or are
> you fearing boycott from some of the more baroque right-wing groups on
> earth ?
[...]

heh... funny you should mention that... i thought the reference to
south africa odd in the original post, as well, but it reminds me that
lots of people here don't even know apartheid went away... since
1994, it's still hanging out in textbooks over here (was comparing
notes with a history teacher friend of mine last week), and common
knowledge doesn't seem to be up-to-date....

i also thought there were still a couple WTO and world bank
boycotts in place, but i got it backwards (just looked it up)....

either way, i was responding to the original reference and just
replaced it with sweden (does anyone dislike sweden?)...

and there are more baroque right wing groups on earth?  i wonder
what they oppose...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself