[thelist] INTRANET: writing hyperlinks?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Aug 29 09:51:00 CDT 2002

Janet Green wrote:

 >        I am developing an intranet for our 60-person organization
 > in which we want to put up employee benefits info, office policies,
 > email usage guidelines, etc. - "soft" stuff, not a lot of real
 > functionality at this point.

But in my experience user demand will force that to change pretty
quickly :-)  so ...

 > (we have) a bunch of files I want to
 > link to stored on a shared network drive called H which is NOT on the
 > same physical server as the intranet directories and in fact is not a
 > web server,

.. what's the aversion to putting these files on a Web server? In
the long term I'd think that would be your best course, even if
that just means installing Apache or IIS on that network server.

The file protocol suggestions are technically correct, but I don't
believe that'll scale well, support remote access, support alternate
devices (PDAs, etc.) -- all issues you should consider now before
you have a "legacy" back end in place that inhibits development of
new features.

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

     -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --