[thelist] Is This A Copyright Violation?

Liam Delahunty mail at liamdelahunty.com
Thu Aug 29 14:55:01 CDT 2002

Pat Meeks wrote:

>I found a table of data I created on our competitors site. There was no
>attempt to disguise it -- same class names, table row colors, and of
course,
>the same data. Would this be considered a copyright violation? If so,
should
>we have a lawyer send a letter or is there something else we should do?

It depends what the original data is. If say, tide tables or stock lists,
not a lot you can do.

If it's specific data of yours. Then phone them first, try to be friendly,
and be very polite and ask them to remove your data within 24 hours - no
point paying for a lawyer just yet. Depending on your paranoia and the local
law you may wish to record the conversation.

They may be a competitor but you may be able to do business together or help
each other in the long run, after all aren't most of _us_ competitors as web
designers/programmers/etc ?

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty