[thelist] Browser Stats

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Thu Aug 29 21:26:00 CDT 2002

aardvark wrote:
>>From: "Daniel Medley" <dm at lgcy.com>
<snip>
> yes, i educate my clients and they do understand that there will be
> differences, but we also don't build sites that require some false
> notion that they must look *exactly* a certain way... if i wanted
> that, i'd move to print... i build within the medium...
>
> this education alone elminates 99% of our issues... if the client
> knows that the background in that cell won't show in Navigator 4.x,
> and they understand why, they don't mind... if they do mind, then
> we talk about solutions and impact...
>
> as for coding to standards vs. coding hacks... we code to
> standards... we don't use hacks... in fact, the only "hack" i allow
> without having to provide justification still validates -- it's the
> perfectly standards-compliant and functionality-checking @import
> rule for CSS... that way i can keep styles away from NN4.x that
> might hose the page...

aardvark,

enjoying reading your opinions on this thread. Hoping
that this doesn't tread close to commercial sensitivity,
but I wondered how often, if at all, you are able to
use CSS as a *layout* tool for clients' sites?

Duncan O'Neill
"Smith The Reporter"
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dbaxo/urban_legend.htm