[thelist] SQL: Eliminating Duplicates with .getRows()

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Sep 2 23:45:01 CDT 2002

> How can I prevent sign number "ZD1050" from
> being returned as rows 2 AND 3?

don't include the category in the result    ;o)

if you're going to remove "duplicates" by looping through the result set,
which category do you keep?  the first one?  the last one?  you can get the
same result with sql, by the way, but i wouldn't do that

if it were me, i'd do a modified crosstab --

  010017 | D1024   | DANGER- do not oper... | OSHA
    category: Electrical

  010027 | ZD1050  | DANGER- electrical...  | ANSI Z535
    categories: Electrical, Laser

piece of cake in coldfusion, with the GROUP= parameter

in asp you'll have to do the programming yourself -- which means looping,
oddly enough, although you're not discarding any information, just
reformatting the one-to-many differently

and this way you only print each sign once

rudy