[thelist] good resources for beginner - HTML, CSS, ASP, XML

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Tue Sep 3 10:12:00 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I've got a new guy that needs to get up to speed quickly on HTML, CSS, ASP,
and later XML. My problem is, I'm a trained programmer with years of
experience doing this stuff, whereas he is not. He's technically competent
and has worked on UNIX systems before (using specialized applications, not
general administration), but not done any form of scripting at all.

He's a smart guy and very eager to learn, and I have no doubt he'll soak
this stuff up like a sponge. However, since I am essentially self-taught
since Mosaic was a pup and he needs to get working in a short time (I may be
gone within six months), I'm wondering what combination of books/sites would
you recommend for someone coming from square one, with no knowledge of web
development concepts at all (except for knowing TCP/IP), to learn the
material? He's going through the HTML tutorials at www.w3schools.com right
now. Any other resources you could provide would be great.

I'm specifically looking for the "good" sites and books you have used to
learn HTML & XHTML, CSS, ASP 3.0 with VBScript, and XML & XSL.

Of course I plan to sign him up for this mailing list as well. ;)

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks!
-dave