[thelist] DHTML expanding lists

evolt at david.us-lot.org evolt at david.us-lot.org
Wed Sep 4 12:42:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 06:07:28PM -0500, Jeff Lucido wrote:

> Thanks for your help! It seems my over complicating the problem was
> masking the true simplicity of what was trying to accomplish (damn
> engineer coming out again). Your ideas worked great and seem to be
> working well (IE 4+ on PC). I am placing it into our CMS system now so
> hopefully everything will play nicely when generated from the database.

>> http://david.us-lot.org/dir.php?dir=/www-concepts/collapse

> I did make a few changes but I kept true to your original idea. One
> thing I did to make sure the other layers were in their "off" state was
> to call your "hide" function first on the onclick command before I ran
> the "flip" function to turn that layer element on. Very simple and
> portable. Thanks a lot for your help!

I thought about trying that, but wouldn't it fail for nested lists?

  ci
  cii
  ciii
  civ

If the user clicks "c" then it will first set the outer list to
display: none; and then set the inner list to display: block;, however
as the inner list is inside the outer list neither will be displayed.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.