[thelist] Strange IIS behavior

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Wed Sep 4 16:30:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Jeff Lucido wrote:

> Evolters:
>
> I have a strange problem occurring with one of our IIS servers.
> Specifically, we are trying to "serve" an executable file from a path on
> our webserver (i.e. http:///www.mysite.com/files/test.exe). We have done
> this numerous times in the past. The strange part is I can place a zip
> file, a cab file or a ini file and the browser always prompts me to
> "save" the file. To make things weirder I renamed the .zip file with a
> .exe extension and I was no longer able to download the file.  I have
> looked at permissions galore, mime types and firewall behaviors (which
> by the way is not an issue since I get the same results whether I am on
> the same network or if I am browsing from an external network). This is
> pretty strange and I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

In the MMC, check the properties of your "files" directory and make sure
that it has the scripting & executable permissions turned off (set
Permissions to "None" under the "Directory" tab). If they are on, IIS
will assume that your EXE is a CGI program and try to run it
server-side.

If you still have problems, you might try messing with the MIME Map
settings under the "HTTP Headers" tab (map .EXE to
"application/octet-stream").

--
Ernest MacDougal Campbell III, MCP+I, MCSE <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/             http://spam.gunters.org/