[thelist] OT: Events Registration Companies

Susan Wallace susanhw at webcastle.com
Thu Sep 5 10:53:01 CDT 2002

This is semi-OT. I am trying to help a client locate a company that can
professionally  handle events registration for a convention that happens
once per year in a different location. (U.S. Locations currently, but with
attendees from around the world ) Currently, this is being handled very
poorly and there is no confidence that the current company can remedy the
situation, so they are looking at other solutions.

The caveat here is that this is for a membership organization, it is a
requirement that someone who registers for the convention be a current
member, and if not, their membership fee is added onto their registration.
This requires that the registration company be able to work with the
existing membership database - preferably in a "live" setting as opposed to
"We send you the data once a week, you send us back a list of who changed"
- this is ridiculous.

There is a need for both online and via phone or fax registration, there
should also be hotel/airfare arrangements etc - basically, what I need is
some recommendations for Travel Agencies/Conference Management Companies
who are
1) Online
2) Technically savvy
3) willing to work with the client and *for* the client without forcing
their pigeonhole system on the client
4) Has references for dealing with events of medium size - 7,000 - 10,000
attendees... (or would that be large?)
5) Can handle both off-site and on-site registration, hotel accommodations,
travel arrangements etc.

I have found the following list in the Google Directory, but would really
appreciate it if someone could let me know if they have any experience with
any of these companies so that I can narrow my starting point.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X18F213B1

Shameless self promotion is also fine, and feel free to e-mail me off-list.

Thanks for your input!

<tip type="Working with vendors">
Remember that when you hire a vendor, it is usually because they provide a
service that you need but cannot handle in-house. The keyword here being
service. If you find yourself with the same vendor in a few years, and the
service is not exactly what you need, it IS ok to look for other solutions.
</tip>