[thelist] Cluster/Load Balancing Issues.....

Rich Gray richardgray at onetel.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 11:21:01 CDT 2002

Chris

I have worked with some clustering technology but it was a while back now so
I'm pretty rusty - is this Microsoft Cluster Service you are dealing with? I
only say that as you mention mapping drives rather than mounting file
systems ...

How is the cluster load balancer implemented? Usually each node in a cluster
will have a private IP address so you could theoretically pick one of the
nodes and direct your traffic towards it but it will be very unlikely that
this address will be accessible from outside the cluster. Even if the
individual node was addressable then obviously if it failed then your
service would go down with it. So what happens when new content/html pages
are published on the site? Is the html replicated around all the nodes
manually? Could the file upload area also take part in this replication
scheme? You would have to manage file naming conflicts as well...

I guess the answer is to speak to the people who manage the cluster and see
what they suggest...

I've not been much help I'm afraid....
Rich