[thelist] Mac Webservers

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 03:51:01 CDT 2002

>I was wondering if there were any webservers available for Mac OS
>      9? Also, is there a way to get PHP/Perl working on Mac OS9?

You can run perl: http://www.macperl.com
Dunno about PHP, but you are aware this is installed (but not
enabled) by default on Mac OSX? In fact Mac OSX has Apache up and
running on a standard install. Perhaps you'll have more luck
persuading them to go for an X mac, which makes an excellent
development platform. An X mac can plug into a OS9 AppleTalk network
'like that' <clicks fingers>.

>      Unfortunately for me, this is the platform I am forced to use
>      (the site backend that I am designing is for a newspaper), and
>      I am using PowerPC Macs (OS ver 9) as my dev. platform/production
>      platform.

I also develop on OS9, but I use my ISPs Red Hat linux servers to run
PHP etc. With a good dial-up / ADSL this is quick and easy. I use the
excellent Interarchy FTP client.

>      As a last resort, I am hoping to convince the client to release
>      on of their Macs, on which I plan to load Linux (YellowDog) and
>      go from there. I'd rather not have to go this route.

Release one of their macs, install OSX!

>      On a side note, for someone not too familiar with Macs, is there
>      a way to do a shift+arrow key (which highlights text in the
>      direction of the arrow in Windows) behavior in Macs?

Works on a mac, depending on what program you're using. I'm writing
this in Eudora, and it sure as hell works here. It also works in
BBEdit, which is a *FANTASTIC* text/html/perl/php/etc editor. If you
are doing serious development, it's paltry £100 price tag will pay
for itself very quickly. http://www.barebones.com
What doesn't it work in?

>Finally, I
>      can't seem to find an "End" key on a Mac keyboard. Do I need to
>      change keyboards, or is that key not implemented?

A certain number of macs, including my G4 :( were shipped with iMac
keyboards lacking many buttons. I'm not sure about the 'end' button
(what's one of those?) but I do miss my F13-F15 buttons like a long
lost brother.

We'll make a Mac convert of you yet :)

Geoff