[thelist] Mac Webservers

Burhan burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Fri Sep 6 11:26:01 CDT 2002

Hello Geoff,

Friday, September 6, 2002, 3:49:31 AM, you wrote:

>>      As a last resort, I am hoping to convince the client to release
>>      on of their Macs, on which I plan to load Linux (YellowDog) and
>>      go from there. I'd rather not have to go this route.

GS> Release one of their macs, install OSX!

As you all probably guessed, I'm not a Mac expert.  I really
appreciate all your comments, and I might be tapping some people to
answer (what I am sure) will be a lot of Mac questions.

I was perusing the the apple website, and came across Darwin.
According to the site :

<quote>
What is Darwin? Darwin is the core of Mac OS X.
The Darwin kernel is based on FreeBSD and Mach 3.0 technologies and
provides protected memory and pre-emptive multitasking.

Darwin runs on PowerPC-based Macintosh computers and a version
is also available for x86-compatible computers.
</quote>

Has anyone tried this? Since I am working for a educational
institution that doesn't profit from the website, I am thinking open
source -- for one, it saves money -- and personally, I like the whole
open source concept and support it anyway I can.  I'd rather not have
to deal with the red tape that comes with dealing with a university --
especially when it comes to releasing funds ($129 for OS X 10.2). It
is going to take a proposal just to get them to enable Perl on the
newspaper's web account (*sigh*) and I can only imagine the circus
acts I will have to perform to get them to but a copy of OS X.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

--
| Burhan Khalid |