[thelist] cookies in Perl

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Fri Sep 6 13:42:01 CDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Marc Seyon wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Colleague of mine is a bit stumped and I thought I'd ask the list for some
> help. He's trying to set a cookie in perl, using this approach
>
> $cookie_jar->set_cookie($version, $key, $val, $path, $domain, $port,
> $path_spec, $secure, $maxage, $discard, \%rest)
>
> (referenced at http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/lib/HTTP/Cookies.html)
>
> But he doesn't know what the first three variables are about. That is,
> $version, $key and $val.

Check the RFC mentioned:
  <URL:http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2965.txt>

It looks like $version only applies to the Cookie2 spec (you probably
want $version=1), and $key and $val are the name and value for your
cookie.

Standard usage would probably be something like:

## Not sure about the 'hide_cookie2' bit....
$cookie_jar = HTTP::Cookies->new(hide_cookie2 => 1);
$cookie_jar->set_cookie(
  1,                     # version
  'username',            # key
  'joe',                 # value