[thelist] CSS: Not using .css

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Sun Sep 8 13:08:10 CDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 12:59:15PM -0500, Ken Kogler wrote:
> Are there any caveats to be aware of when doing this:
>
>   <link type="text/css" media="all"
>    href="/css/main.asp?style=red" rel="stylesheet">

Netscape 4.x doesn't understand media="all".

 Your style sheet may not be apropriate for palmtop, aural, braille,
 tty, tv, embossed and print media as well as screen.

> Am I correct that the browser could care less what the extension of the
> stylesheet is as long as it's specified as "text/css"?

Depends on the browser. The extension should be irrelevent, but the
content type the server sends must be text/css for some browsers.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.