[thelist] Out of the box

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 10 09:18:01 CDT 2002

>From: "lon.kraemer" <lwkraemer at directvinternet.com>
>To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
>Subject: Re: [thelist] Out of the box
>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:08:04 -0500
>
> > >If you choose to go with the Microsoft box model (width applies to
>the
> > >borders of a box and everything inside it), you can easily switch
>Mozilla to
> > >this model.
> >
> > This is all very interesting but when should this be done?
> > The answer, of course, is *never*.
>
>How about when sizing boxes with percentages using px padding and px
>border?
>
>IMO, all these declarations would be useful:
>
>box-sizing: margin-box;
>box-sizing: border-box;
>box-sizing: padding-box;
>box-sizing: content-box;

How would margin-box work? I thought about it while making my test case and
couldn't figure out how the margin-box would have to work.

Include the margin in the width of the box, sure, but isn't that a bit
strange? And boy, are we going to have fun when giving a percentage
margin...

padding-box looks (marginally) useful to me, but margin-box doesn't. But
maybe I'm missing something.

ppk