[thelist] including html dilemma

colin bocmaxima at wtez.net
Tue Sep 10 11:24:01 CDT 2002

Hello list,

For quite a while now, I've been using a header system that uses pretty much
only external content. NS 4 has a layer with image maps, and everything else
has an iframe with <div>'s, image maps, and images. This works on the more
used browsers, but I've been told it crashes some of the more obscure ones,
and it even crashed my IE 4 at home. I began experimenting with
document.write to write all of the <div>'s, images, and image maps into
every page but something about this seems dirty. However, it works well in
every browser I've seen it in.
Do I have good reason to feel dirty about putting all of this code into a
document.write? I don't care about it not working in non-java browsers
because it wouldn't work anyway because of the layer changing. And SSI is
not an option because of the security-anal LAN administrator (although
understandably so).

Examples:
Layer and Iframe:
http://www.tech.uh.edu/AcademicServices