AW: [thelist] site check: brownecenter.com

Eike Pierstorff eike.pierstorff at dynamique.de
Tue Sep 10 13:46:01 CDT 2002

> But what I'd
> like to give them is a real industry rationale for why this is
> bad, not just
> my opinion so that maybe they can make some good decisions about
> fixing the
> worst offenders. I also have no idea how it displays on Macs or
> *nix boxes.

In many countries there are laws against inaccessible web sites, so they
probably will be sued by their first blind visitor. Also people will
probably think they are idiots when they call themselves "innovative" with a
web site like that. The site is beyond any "fixing" (or maintenance), so
they should ask their money back.

The following is an accessibity report by http://bobby.watchfire.com/

Section 508 Accessibility
Section 508 User Checks
User checks are triggered by something specific on the page; however, you
need to determine manually whether they apply and, if applicable, whether
your page meets the requirements. Bobby Section 508 Approval requires that
all user checks pass. Even if your page does conform to these guidelines
they appear in the report. Please review these 7 item(s):

If you can't make a page accessible, construct an alternate accessible
version.
Provide alternative content for each SCRIPT that conveys important
information or functionality.

If this is a data table (not used for layout only), identify headers for the
table rows and columns. (3 instances)
Line 90

If you use color to convey information, make sure the information is also
represented another way. (38 instances)
Line 90

Make sure users can skip repetitive navigation links.
If an image conveys important information beyond what is in its alternative
text, provide an extended description. (34 instances)
Line 90

If a table has two or more rows or columns that serve as headers, use
structural markup to identify their hierarchy and relationship. (3
instances)
Line 90