[thelist] SQL Server delays...

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Wed Sep 11 16:05:01 CDT 2002

At 11:41 AM 9/11/2002, Rob Smith wrote:

>>I'm working in ASP 2.0 and SQL Server 2000 on a Win2k platform. I've got a
>>web app. that does a minute amount updating and retrieving to my SQL
Server.
>>I'm experiencing abnormal delays in the processes. A normal response would
>>be, for me, to query and get a response back immediately. My current
delays
>>are anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds in length. I'm querying the database for
>>stuff on page 1, then I go to the next page on my command, and query once
>>more.

>Here's a couple of ideas:

>Make sure your indexes are optimized for your queries.

Run performance monitoring and see what type of loads the server is
experiencing.

Good Luck.
--
Anthony Baratta
President

Anthony,

I ran the monitoring thing and there are in fact a great deal of time spent
running the queries (1800ms - 1300ms). I guess I could improve the time
element by being a little more specific in the SQL commands. Also, none of
my tables had any indexes on them! I created them and the speed of querying
the database was 1000 times faster. (I don't have evidence to support that,
but it feels like it). Thanks a million!

Rob