[thelist] Newbie throwing herself on your mercy

James Mclean james at adam.com.au
Wed Sep 11 19:33:00 CDT 2002

Hi Kimberly,

> However, I'd really love to be able to run Horde/Imp on my computer.
> But...I have no idea how to do this.

Imp and the Horde framework are great programs.

> I know I have to have Apache, and PHP, but I'm not sure...what I need
> to do to get them, and when I have them, what I do with them.  I've
> downloaded things that say 'Download this' and I think they were
> tar.gz files or something like that (I'd look them up, but I'm not on
> my home computer...my apologies), but then it asks me what application
> would I like to use to open them, and I don't know what I'm supposed
> to use, or if I have the correct application to open them.  And do I
> need Unix/Linux?  And would that clash with Windows ME?

A file with the extension .tar.gz, is commonly called a Tarball, and it
is more useful to people running a Unix/Linux system. You can open them
with the various Windows file compression programs such as WinZip etc,
but again its not all that much use on a Windows system.

Imp is not really what you may be after if you are looking for an email
client, because it requires a SMTP server to be installed, ideally an
IMAP server, and atleast a POP3 server, and as mentioned above PHP and
Apache. Installing Imp, i am sorry to say, may be out of reach at the
moment for you :(. You need to recompile PHP from source, with the IMAP
libraries, which are a problem to get working at the best of times
(php.net was a  great help though). So, in short it works best on
Unix/Linux, and if you are not comfortable with compiling programs from
source, this may not be for you.

But hey, dont let this discourage you! Setup a dual booter, or even
install Linux on an old or borrowed computer, and play around with that.
You will learn *heaps* about the operation of real operating systems,
and how things should be :P

Second best... find an ISP that uses IMP for thier webmail :) The ISP I
work for does, but i think we are a litte to far for you to dialup to :P

> I'm a bit lost here, and I don't really know anyone that can help
> me...the people I know that *do* know how to do these things just say,
> "Oh, well that's simple" and leave me feeling foolish, and I still
> don't get answers.
>
> Again, if this isn't the place to ask this, please let me know, and
> maybe tell where I SHOULD go to get answers to these questions.  I'd
> love to be more web- savvy.

No worries :) This has to be the friendliest mailing list i am on :) Im
on some Unix and Linux lists... they can get real annoyed with the users
who are only trying to learn.

Regards,

James Mclean
Adam Internet Web Design Team