[thelist] php/MySQL, hyperlinks, and passing parameters

Roger Harness magic32 at jps.net
Fri Sep 13 00:25:01 CDT 2002

Hello all, seems like I keep asking questions, and haven't ever really been
able to answer anybody elses. Someday, right?

Anyway, my question:

I have a simple database with idnum, title, song, and date. I'd like to have
the title and date in a simple, two column html table, with as many rows as
needed (obviously). I'd like to create this dynamically. This part I can do.

But, what I'd *really* like to have, is the title being a hyperlink which
would dynamically open up a (dynamically created) page with the chosen song.

TITLE	DATE
----------
abc	1997
def	1998
xyz	1982

etc.

Click on "abc" and the ABC song comes up.

Someone said I can simply embed the idnum into the URL for my links. I think
this makes sense. But honestly, I don't really know what i'd do with idnum
embedded URL link once I had it. Does anybody have any suggestions/links
they can point me to so I can figure out how to utilize this embedded link
in my php file?

For the record, I've been playing with php/MySQL a little bit, and I can
create a file that would show any/all of my song records, I just can't
figure out how to display one utilizing that dang embedded URL thing.

as always, tia,

-Roger Harness

(i think i should start posting under aliases...this is getting embarassing)